I am a serial breakfast skipper. Or should I say a “cereal” skipper?! Either way, I am not big on the meal. As I have been on a journey to live a healthier lifestyle, it seems breakfast is a must do. I have read article after article, and they are virtually all the same. You.Must.Eat.Breakfast. To be honest, the reasoning is pretty compelling. Seriously.
Here are just a few reasons to make sure you eat this important meal every day:
- People who eat breakfast perform better, both physically and mentally.
- People who eat breakfast have better skin.
- People who eat breakfast have a higher metabolism.
- People who eat breakfast eat fewer calories throughout the day.
- People who eat breakfast maintain a healthier weight.
- People who eat breakfast are less irritable.
- People who eat breakfast lower their risk for serious health problems like heart disease, diabetes and stroke.
Are you convinced? I know I am! No more serial (or cereal) breakfast skipper here any longer! I make sure I have at least a little something on my stomach before I start my day. Because Caitlin is in school, it is super important to be sure she eats before she enters that school. We don’t always have time for hot breakfast, so I will make a recipe you can make ahead and grab on your way out the door. One of our favorites is my Oatmeal Trail Mix Breakfast Bars Recipe.
I love this recipe because it is something I can make ahead. This Oatmeal Trail Mix Breakfast Bars Recipe will keep for about 5 days in a tightly sealed container. I usually make a double batch on the weekend. I will freeze one and keep the other on the kitchen table. This way, everyone can just grab one when they are on the way out the door, or when then are coming in and want a snack.
When the container is empty, I can just take the other container our of the freezer and we are good to go. This will usually get us by until the next weekend, when I will make another couple of batches. And yes, they are that good! And now that I am not a serial (cereal) breakfast skipper, I always have something to eat. I cannot get enough of these amazing Oatmeal Trail Mix Breakfast Bars Recipe! You’re welcome!
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1 medium ripe banana, mashed
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons butter, softened
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- Heat oven to 350°. Spray 8x8 pan with cooking spray.
- Mix flour, 1/2 cup oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and flaxseeds in large bowl; set aside. Stir brown sugar, oil, honey, banana, vanilla and egg in medium bowl with fork until smooth.
- Add in walnuts and cranberries and stir into flour mixture until blended. Add mixture to your greased pan.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until top is golden and firm. Cool completely, about 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Heat chocolate chips and coconut oil in microwave for 30 seconds, until mixture is smooth. Drizzle over cooled mixture. Sprinkle toasted coconut.
- Cut into bars (4 rows by 4 rows)
Are you a serial breakfast skipper? What do you eat for breakfast when you don’t feel like eating breakfast!?