If you want a deliciously moist and sweet dessert bread for the holidays, you must try this Chocolate Chip Cranberry Orange Hazelnut Bread. It is also the perfect way to start your morning!
With 6 kids in the house, my mom was always looking for recipes we would all like. My dad had a huge sweet tooth, so those recipes usually had a sweet element in them. We had a lot of cakes, pies and breads. This was especially true around the holidays. It seemed mom was in the kitchen from November 1st to January 2nd. Oh, the tempting smells that came from that kitchen. We had a pass through from the kitchen to the dining room, and my sister and I would pull up chairs and watch mom cook from the dining room.
My brothers were a bit more brazen and they would just walk into the kitchen and steal a bite here and there. One of our favorite holiday recipes was mom’s Chocolate Chip Cranberry Orange Hazelnut Bread. Another favorite of mom’s I adapted, is my Gluten Free Cinnamon Swirl Quick Bread.
Chocolate Chip Cranberry Orange Hazelnut Bread
I love to call this bread the kitchen sink because it has so many ingredients! But, I have to tell you, the combination of flavors creates something so amazing, it will make your mouth sing! Mom would make this for our teachers and would send loaves to my dad’s office. I bet mom would make 25 or more loaves of this If you want a deliciously moist and sweet dessert bread for the holidays, you must try this Chocolate Chip Cranberry Orange Hazelnut Bread.
This recipe actually evolved from mom’s traditional Cranberry Orange Pecan bread. The way mom tells it, she was making her Cranberry Orange Pecan bread and she had chocolate chips sitting out. The chips were for some cookies she was making for something for our school. Mom said dad walked by and grabbed a handful of the chips and tossed them into mom’s batter! She was none too pleased, but the result was quick to become a family favorite. For my family, we love hazelnuts but not so much the pecans, so I replaced mom’s pecans with those. My family asks for this recipe a lot and I make it every year for the kids teachers now.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3?4 cup sugar
- 1 1?2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3?4 teaspoon salt
- 1?2 teaspoon baking soda
- ?4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/2 cup orange juice, plus 1 tbsp. (set aside)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup cranberries or craisins
- 1?2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar and 1/4 cup orange juice, to make glaze
- Grease loaf pan.
- Combine dry ingredients. Add margarine and mix until crumbly.
- Add 1/2 c orange juice, and egg; stir until moistened Add cranberries, chocolate chips and nuts.
- Pour batter into pan and bake 50 minutes or until a knife comes clean from the center.
- Cool completely and remove from pan
- When cool, Combine remaining orange juice with 1 c sifted powdered sugar. Whisk until well combined and drizzle over loaf.
What is your favorite holiday bread?