I remember when I was growing up how adamant my mom was about our brushing our teeth. Of course, as kids, we would roll our eyes and give it a half-hearted attempt. You know how kids are! They put the smallest amount of toothpaste on their teeth and put forth the least amount of effort possible. We had out fair share of cavities and I have plenty of fillings to prove it! Fast forward 25 years to my being a parent. I hear myself saying the stuff my mom did about brushing when I was a kid. We have learned a lot since then about the steps to better dental health. With advances in periodontal and dental health, we know more about how to take care of our teeth and avoid things like bleeding and swollen gums and gingivitis. Here are just 5 steps to having a healthier smile!
5 Steps To Better Dental Health
- Examine Your Mouth: You know your mouth like no one else. You know if there is any bleeding, swelling or unusual odors coming from your mouth. If you see or smell anything out of the ordinary, you should contact your dentist immediately. If you have normal swelling or bleeding, this could be from something as simple as gingivitis or as serious as leukemia or a low platelet count.
- A Daily Dental Routine: If you have a regular routine, you can lower your risk of dental health issues by a huge margin. Using fluoride every day is key to better dental health. This holds especially true if you are pregnant, are very young or old or are taking certain medications. You can buy over the counter fluoride toothpastes, mouthwashes or rinses or your dentist can prescribe something stronger if he feels it necessary.
- Brush and Floss: We hear it, say it and know it, but don’t always do it. If you want better dental health, you must brush and floss at least twice a day. You really should do this after you eat, but realistically, not everyone will do this. If you want to make sure you are brushing your teeth as best you can, you need the right toothbrush. For me, I prefer the Aura Clean System from TAO Clean (The Art of Clean). Not only is this a brush that gets your teeth their cleanest, the base gets your brush it’s cleanest as well.
- Visit Your Dentist Regularly: For the most part, you should visit your dentist 4 times a year. At the very minimum, you should see them twice a year for better dental health. Your dentist can spot a cavity while it is no bigger than a pin prick, lesions, tooth decay or more serious problems. They have the tools and equipment to see things in your mouth you would never be able to spot with a home exam.
- Say No to Tobacco: If you chew, dip or smoke tobacco, you need to stop for a myriad of health reasons. When it comes to your mouth, continued use can lead to serious dental health problems like mouth, gum or throat cancer. At the very least, it can cause stained teeth, bad breath and lead to tooth decay.
One of the biggest detriments to having better dental health is bacteria. That is where virtually all of your poor dental health stems from. If you have icky germs and bacteria in your mouth and don’t have the right tools to get rid of them, your mouth is in danger. Did you know that those very germs and bacteria can be living in your toothbrush? I really had no idea until I received my Aura Clean System from TAO Clean. You can have the most technologically advanced toothbrush on the market, but if the head is swimming in bacteria, you are doing your mouth a huge disservice. With the Aura Clean System from TAO Clean, you get a brush that is stored brush head down in its base, which keeps it from being exposed to your bathroom environment.
Not only do you get a powerful ultrasonic toothbrush, but a innovative cleaning station as well. The brush dryer drives water off the brush head while in the base. The 360° UV-C ring light kills 99.9+% of germs all the way round the brush head and not just on the front bristles. The UV-C sterilizer runs every few hours, making darn sure the remaining 0.1% doesn’t make an appearance. The unique design causes any remaining water to fall off the brush and completely out of the system. The Aura Clean System give you a brush that is clean, dry and charged, so it is ready to give you the cleanest teeth and mouth when you need it. You can purchase the Aura Clean System from the TAO Clean website. It comes in black or white and retails for $199. The unit comes with 3 brush heads and replacements can be purchased for $29.95 for 3. The generous folks over at TAO Clean have offered my readers an exclusive 40% off. Just use KELLY40 at checkout!
What tips do you have for better dental health?