Because my husband drives a truck for a living, he is gone a lot. When a holiday comes around, we are always excited because we know he will be home. The 4th of July is a day where we just relax and hang out with the family. My husband wil grill out while the kids are playing in the yard. My task is to make the appetizers, sides and desserts. This year I am making these easy and fun Patriotic Red, White And Blue Jello Cups.
These Patriotic Red, White And Blue Jello Cups are festive, low calorie and the kids absolutely love them. If you want to make an adult version, you can add a white liquor to the jello. This recipe is easier to make than you may think. When I first saw the recipe, I thought it would be a pain to pull off. Instead, I was pleasantly surprised!. It just takes a little patience and a steady hand and the results are well worth the effort.
We discovered two things to watch for when making these Patriotic Red, White And Blue Jello Cups. Be sure the Jello is completely dissovled or your Jello will be super grainy. Yuck! The other thing is to watch the milk when you are cooking it. If the temperature gets too high and burns the milk, the taste will be off and the white color will be cloudy and yellow.
When you get to the top (red) layer, be sure to hold tight on the cherry stem when you are pouring your Jello into the cup. You want the stem to stands up in your Patriotic Red, White And Blue Jello Cups. This gives the appearance of a firecracker of sorts. It is super cute and you will be thrilled once they are ready to be eaten.
- 1-1/3 cups boiling water, divided
- 1 3 ounce pkg. blue (berry) Jello
- 1 3 ounce pkg. red (cherry Jello
- 1 packet unflavored Gelatin
- 1 cup milk, divided
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 20 cherries with stems,
- Add 2/3 cup boiling water to berry gelatin mix in small bowl; stir 2 min. until completely dissolved. Repeat with cherry gelatin mix. Cool.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle unflavored gelatine over 1/4 cup milk in medium bowl; let stand 5 min. Bring remaining milk to boil in saucepan. Remove from heat; stir in sugar and vanilla. Add to plain gelatine mixture; stir until gelatine is completely dissolved. Cool 10 min.
- Spoon berry gelatin into 20 (1-oz.) plastic shot glasses sprayed lightly with cooking spray, adding about 2 tsp. to each. Refrigerate 15 min. or until set but not firm.
- Top with unflavored gelatine mixture, adding about 2 tsp. to each cup. Refrigerate 10 min. Insert cherry, stem end up, into white gelatine layer in each cup. Refrigerate 2 min.
- Cover with cherry gelatin, adding about 2 tsp. to each cup. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm. Remove from cups before serving.