Do you have fond memories of baking with your mom when you were a child? I sure do! I have a sister who is less than a year younger than me. When mom was baking something delicious, my sister and I sat in the breakfast nook. This gave us ringside seats to watch mom create something tasty and magical. This also offered us our own tasting area! I mean, I was not a stupid child! I knew if we sat and stared at mom long enough, she would break down and give us first dibs on whatever she was making.
One of my favorite sweet treats in the whole wide world are cupcakes. Mom would spend her Saturday’s baking fun treats for the weekend, especially Sunday dinner. This inspired me as an adult to do the same. Caitlin and I have reserved Saturdays for baking. This weekend, we made these adorable Lemon Daisy Cupcakes. Another fun dessert you may enjoy are my Layered Jello Shots I made on the 4th of Jul!
These cupcakes are super fun to make and I promise, they are way easier to make than they look. You cane these with any flavor cake mix you like, but we use a white or yellow mix. My kids love jellybeans, so I almost always have those on hand as well. Our favorites are the Starburst jellybeans because they have such great flavor. They add another depth of tangy sweetness to these Lemon Daisy Cupcakes.
The one thing you may have difficulty finding is the green sprinkles. If this is the case, my daughter suggested using green decorating sugar instead. I think that is a brilliant suggestion! If you cannot find that, no worries! These Lemon Daisy Cupcakes are adorable with or without that part of the recipe! We had the most fun cutting the marshmallows and shaping them into the petals of the daisy. Your fingers will get a little sticky, but that is part of the fun, right?!
We made these Lemon Daisy Cupcakes for Easter, my husband’s birthday and Memorial Day. They are so dang fun to make and even more fun to eat!! Trust me! You will get hooked on these babies, you just wait and see!
Lemon Daisy Cupcakes
- 1 package (2-layer size) white cake mix
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Lemon Extract , divided
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 package (16 ounces) confectioners’ sugar
- 10 drops McCormick® Yellow Food Color
- 18 large marshmallows
- Decorating sugar
- Jelly beans
- Green sprinkles
- Prepare cake mix as directed on package, adding 1 tablespoon of the lemon extract. Spoon into 18 paper-lined muffin cups, filling each cup 2/3 full. Bake as directed for cupcakes. Cool cupcakes on wire rack.
- For the Frosting, beat cream cheese, butter, sour cream and remaining 2 teaspoons lemon extract in large bowl until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Stir in food color until evenly tinted. Frost cooled cupcakes.
- To decorate cupcakes, cut each marshmallow crosswise into 5 slices. Sprinkle 1 side of each marshmallow slice with decorating sugar. Arrange 5 marshmallow petals on top of each cupcake to resemble a daisy, pressing the marshmallows into the frosting. Place jelly beans in the center of the petals. Garnish with sprinkles.
Who did you watch in the kitchen when you were a kid?