When you were a kid, did you help your mom or grandmother in the kitchen? I was lucky to have a stay at home mom who did a lot of cooking/baking from scratch. My Gram, who was my dad’s mom, was an even better baker than my mom (Shhhh…don’t tell mom I said that!!) When we would visit Gram, she would always have cookies, a pie or a cake ready for my sister and I to help with. If we were visiting for the whole weekend, we would usually make several yummy baked goods. With 6 kids in the family, Gram was always baking something and sending us home with it!
Now that I am a mom, I love to bake with my kids. My son would rather play on his Xbox, but my daughter is always up to help me bake something delicious. With spring break here, Caitlin is off all week, so we can bake for Easter! I am so ready to make some delicious Nutty Chocolate Fudge Cookies! I am a big fan of the whole sweet and salty concept, so these are right up my alley! With the rich fudge and the salty pistachios, my mouth does a happy dance with every bite!
These Nutty Chocolate Fudge Cookies are perfect for just about any occasion! We love to make several batches and share them with our friends, neighbors and my husband’s co-workers. There is a guy at my husband’s job who asks my husband at least twice a week if I am baking anything that week! What is great about these Nutty Chocolate Fudge Cookies, is you can use any nuts you like. Not a fan of pistachios? Just substitute walnuts, pecans or even peanuts are wonderful on these cookies. Just play with the recipe and have fun!
- 1 box chocolate fudge cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pistachios (set aside half for later)
- 1 chocolate cookie icing pouch (I use Betty Crocker)
- 1/3 cup multi colored chocolate covered sunflower seeds (From your local craft store)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl add the cake mix, eggs and vegetable oil. Mix until well blended.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and chopped pistachios.
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls and place on cookie sheet.
- Bake in 350°preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Place cookie sheet on wire rack to cool for 5 minutes.
- Transfer cookies from cookie sheet to wire rack to completely cool.
- Ice each cookie with the chocolate cookie icing squeeze pouch.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup finely chopped pistachios onto each cookie.
- Sprinkle 8-10 sunflower seeds on top of each cookie.