Does Easter have a special meaning in your family? It does for mine. I grew up in a house with six kids. My mom was a genius at making every holiday special. We grew up in a Catholic home, so Easter was especially meaningful. We participated in Ash Wednesday, Lent, Good Friday and of course, Easter.
My siblings and I looked forward to our family Easter Egg Hunt and mom’s special Easter treats. Every year, she made cereal treats. I make my own version for my kids. They love my Fruity Cereal Treat Easter Eggs.
Traditionally, cereal treats are made with plain crispy rice cereal. I have made several fun recipes using them. Summer, I love the Watermelon Rice Krispies Teats. Aren’t they cute? Another favorite are my Brown Sugar Cinnamon Rice Krispies Treats Brownies. Caitlin’s Robotics team gobbles those up in about 10 minutes!
To make my Fruity Cereal Treat Easter Eggs, I used fruity rice cereal and fruity mini marshmallows. The kids love the added level of fruit flavor. I used a silicone egg mold for these Fruity Cereal Treat Easter Eggs. You can also shape them by hand. I made some with a lollipop stick and some without. The kids prefer the pops, because they don’t get their hands sticky. I added the ribbon for a little more flair. Just have fun and make them your own! Your kids will love them! I promise!
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 4 cups fruit flavored mini marshmallows
- 6 cups fruity crispy rice cereal
- White, blue, pink and green candy melts (or any variety of colors you like)
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- Spring theme sprinkles (optional)
- Egg-shaped silicone mold
- Lollipop sticks
- Spray your mold with vegetable spray
- In a large pan or microwave, melt butter on low heat. Add marshmallows. Return to heat or microwave. I microwave 25 seconds, stir and repeat once more, stirring until well-combined.
- Next, stir in the 6 cups of fruity rice cereal and mix until well-coated.
- Press into silicone mold.Allow to cool.
- In separate bowls, melt candy melts in microwave. Do this in 30 second intervals, until smooth. Add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil after first 30 second interval.
- Dip Fruity Crispy Rice Easter Eggs into melted chocolate. Allow to cool on silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Drizzle additional melted candy melts to decorate your Fruity Crispy Rice Easter Eggs. Allow to cool.
- Add sprinkles if desired.
- Gently slide one lollipop stick into larger end of Fruity Crispy Rice Easter Eggs
- Tie ribbon at the top of the stick, where it meets the Fruity Crispy Rice Easter Eggs
Do you have a special Easter treat you make every year? I would love to hear in the comments below!