Easy Homemade Baked Apple Hand Pies Recipe
This post contains affiliate links and or images. I love to be in the kitchen, creating all kinds of yummy goodness for my friends and family. One of our family favorites is my Easy Homemade Baked Apple Hand Pies Recipe. They are the perfect treat that is meant to be shared!
Making Time For Self Care
When I get a bit frazzled, I know I need to step back and have a little time to myself. With a career,, kids, a husband, a small menagerie and a house to run, this is a rare treat!
A Versatile Recipe
What I love about this Recipe is you can use just about any filling you like. The kids will sometimes use cheese with the apples or strawberries with Nutella. My husband and I have made it with a savory addition of baked ham.
A Great Family Night Snack
When the kids help me in the kitchen with this Recipe, they have fun making the fork marks along the edges of the pies. This is a great Recipe that the kids and I can make together, giving us some much-needed family time.
When we have a family night, we do movies or game night. If I have time that day, I will make something other than popcorn for a snack! This Recipe is great for a weekend breakfast, a family game or movie snack or an after school treat.
- For the crust:
- 2 cups all purpose flour, divided
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoons. powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoons salt, divided
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 6 tablespoons ice water
- For the filling:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups diced & peeled granny smith apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons. brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 425
- For Crust:
- In a stand mixer or food processor, combine flour, powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Mix for about seconds.
- Add butter and ice water and mix until mixture is coarse crumbles.
- Press dough into a medium size circle on plastic wrap and cover. Chill for 30 minutes.
- For apple filing:
- Toss apples in lemon juice
- In a medium saucepan, add butter and allow to melt and get ever so slightly brown.
- Add apples, remaining salt, brown sugar, allspice, cinnamon, and vanilla. Cook until soft, or about 7-8 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Take out your chilled dough and separate into 5-6 5" circles. Using a small cookie cutter (optional) cut shapes into one side of the circle. On the uncut side, spoon in 2 tsp. of apple mixture. Fold cut out side of dough over onto apple mixture and crimp closed. Place on cookie sheet with silicone baking sheet. Brush each pie with egg white and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Bake for 20 minutes or until nice and brown. Allow to cool.
What is a snack you make on family game or movie nights?