OK, so I have taken most of my summer clothes and put them in storage. The reason I say most is because we live in the south and the weather is wackadoodle! One day the temperature is in the 50’s and the next day it is in the 70’s! You always grab a sweater or a hoodie because you just never know! One thing I do know is how much I love chili. There is nothing I like better than a hot cup of chili on a chilly (or not so chilly) day. I have a few chili recipes, but the one my husband likes the best is my 3 Bean Crock Pot Chuck Roast Chili Recipe.
What I love about this 3 Bean Crock Pot Chuck Roast Chili Recipe is that you can adapt it to your taste so easily. If you prefer a different bean or want to add in some red peppers, that will taste great! My husband likes his chili really spicy, so I will sometimes add cayenne pepper and some fresh jalapenos or green chilies. This chili goes perfectly with some crusty french bread or my Southwest Corn Bread (Recipe coming soon!)
Another great thing about this 3 Bean Crock Pot Chuck Roast Chili Recipe is you can use different meats. I love the chuck roast because I prefer that beefy flavor. I have also made this with a pork roast, ground beef or sausage or a nice flank steak. Because the crock pot will make just about any cut of meat tender, you can add whatever you like. Experiment and have fun!
- 1 boneless chuck roast, 1-2 pounds
- 1 can each of red kidney beans, black beans and white chili beans, drained
- 1 can diced or pureed tomatoes, drained
- 1 can beef broth
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup shredded Sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup cooked bacon, chopped
- 1 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Sour cream and green onions, optional
- Combine all the spices and beef broth along with your chuck roast in your slow cooker and set on high for 4-5 hours, or until beef is tender. Using two forks, shred the beef. Add remaining ingredients and cook for 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Top with sour cream and green onions, if desired.
Do you have a must have ingredient in your homemade chili? If so, what is it?