When the kids get home from school, they are usually hungry. Before they start to work on homework, I let them decompress and have a snack. One of their favorites are my easy watermelon Rice Krispie marshmallow treats recipe .
Easy Watermelon Rice Krispie Marshmallow Treats Recipe
In my house, Rice Krispie Treats are about as popular as an ice cream sundae! We probably make different variations of them 3 or 4 times a month. It is a snack that is cheap and surprisingly, not that high in calories.
A Snack The Kids Can Make
Now that the kids are older, they can help me in the kitchen. That means my hands don’t have to get sticky when we are forming the Rice Krispie Treats!!
This snack is super easy to make and are ready in less than 30 minutes! If you want to take them to school for a cute teacher’s gift, you can wrap them in cellophane and tie it with a ribbon. We have done this for back to school and at Halloween, we do a candy corn version which is super cute (recipe coming soon!).
Here is what you will need to make your Watermelon Rice Krispie Marshmallow Treats Recipe:
- 8″ round baking pan
- 6 cups Rice Krispie cereal
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- 3 tablespoons watermelon jello (about 1/2 of 3- oz. pkg.)
- 1 10-ounce package mini marshmallows
- Food coloring (divided)
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Straws (optional)
Order what you need to make your recipe from Amazon by clicking the buttons below:
Rice Krispies Toasted Rice Cereal, 18-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 4)Kraft Jet Puffed Mini Marshmallows, 10 oz (Pack of 3)Jell-O Watermelon Flavor Gelatin Dessert, 3 Ounce Box (4-Pack)Nestle Toll House Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chip Mini Morsels 10-Oz. BagFood Coloring – 12 Color Bright Rainbow Cake Food Coloring Set for Baking, Decorating, Icing and Cooking – Assorted Variety Liquid Food Color Dye for Slime Making and DIY Crafts – .25 fl. oz. BottlesOXO Good Grips Wooden Spoon Set, 3-PieceChicago Metallic Professional Non-Stick Round Cake Pan, 8-InchSKYSTARS 200 PCS Paper Straws Biodegradable – Eco-Friendly Paper Drinking Straws for Party Decorative (Colourful)
Here is how to make your watermelon Rice Krispie marshmallow treats recipe:
- Microwave 2 tablespoons of butter in large microwave safe bowl on high for 25 seconds or until melted.
- Add 3 cups marshmallows and toss to coat evenly. ‘
- Microwave 1-1/2 min.(stirring after 45 sec.) or until marshmallows are completely melted and mixture is well blended.
- Stir in Food 4-6 drops of green Food coloring. Add 1-2 drops of color if you want a darker green.
- Add 3 cups of cereal and mix well.
- Spray pan with cooking oil or line with foil and press cereal mixture in pan to form a rim around
the pan. This will be the watermelon rind.
- Microwave remaining butter in separate large microwaveable bowl for 25 seconds or until melted.
- Add remaining marshmallows and toss to coat. Microwave 1-1/2 min. (stirring after 45 sec.) or until marshmallows are completely melted and mixture is well blended,
- Stir in dry watermelon gelatin mix and microwave 15 seconds and mix well.
- Add remaining cereal; mix well. If you want a darker pink color, add 2-3 drops of pink Food coloring.
- Press cereal mixture in the center of your pan. Allow to cool.
A Word Of Caution
A word of caution about the chocolate chips. Because the mixture is a bit warm when you are forming it, the chocolate chips can melt. Wait just a few minutes before you add that step.
Here are a few other Kicking it with Kelly recipes you may enjoy!
Very Blueberry Lemonade Cocktail or Mocktail Recipe (this makes a great mocktail for the kids)
Grilled Peach Brown Sugar Bourbon Iced Tea (For the adults)
What is your child’s favorite after school snack?