Ever since I began eating a healthier diet, I have been using fresh herbs when I cook. I cannot believe I have been missing out on such amazing flavors! I honestly had no idea added fresh herbs to a dish could heighten the flavor so much. I have been buying my herbs from the produce section of the grocery store, but that can get expensive.
I wanted to start an indoor herb garden, but had not done that before. I wanted to find a few tricks to help me get my herb garden going. I did some research and found some cool hacks you may enjoy!
6 Hacks For Starting An Herb Garden
- Coffee Grounds: Using leftover coffee grounds can help enrich your soil and keep bugs from destroying your plants.
- Egg Shells: Crushed eggshells can also help keep your plants protected from critters!
- Cinnamon: Sprinkle a little cinnamon on those newly planted herbs to keep diseases away.
- Epsom Salts: Avoid shell shocking newly planted herbs by mixing epsom salts in your soil.
- Cutting Blooms: If you have flowering herbs, be sure to trim those blooms. This keeps the nutrients going to the herb and not the bloom.
- The Right Planter: Using the right planter can make or break having a successful herb garden. I use the cleverly designed Freiling Smart Planter.
Let me tell you, these Freiling Smart Planter are the answer to your indoor herb garden dreams. I never know when to water my plants, but with this innovatively designed planter, I don’t have to. The Smart Planter keeps you from over (or under) watering your herbs. The little plastic flower is integrated into the pot and drops down when the plant needs to be watered again.
Also, the planter also has a cotton wick that is inserted into the soil which draws the water from the reservoir. These planters are also beautiful and I have three of them to decoratively grow my indoor herb garden right in my kitchen. They are UV resistant and are made of ABS plastic. This means they will stay beautiful and keep their vibrant colors, even if they are in direct sunlight. The Frieling Smart Planter comes in 3 colors, and can be purchased from the website for $20 each. Be sure to stay social and like Frieling on Facebook and follow them on Twitter. One USA reader will win (3) of the planters, ARV $60.