Are you a super busy mom who is juggling what seems like 100 things a day for your family? Maybe it is because I work from home, but it seems I never get anything done, especially during the summer. I am constantly taking the kids to sporting events, summer school activities, doctor’s appointments, or play dates with their friends. By the time I have any time for myself, it is bedtime and I am exhausted. Does that sound familiar? Please say yes! I recently started carving out time to spend a few hours every day at the gym. The problem was I was not planning any pre or post work out snacks. By the end of my workout, I was struggling to finish.
I had heard about a tele-health service called American Well (Amwell) that offered a ton of services for busy moms just like me. At Amwell, it seemed they really understood how important health is for moms. I mean, after all, we are the glue that holds the family together, right? Amwell can offer an easy way for moms to see a doctor without leaving their home. I love this idea! Instead of making an doctor’s appointment that is 2 months away or visiting the ER or Urgent Care, I can get a visit from a medical professional from the comfort of my own home!
Some services that Amwell offers include, but are not limited to:
- Online Therapy
- Nutrition Counseling
- Urgent Care
Getting started only took a few minutes. I created an account, made sure I had the webcam and microphone working and my internet speed was up to par. Next, I chose the area I wanted to get help with (Nutrition) and who was available. Because I was struggling with my nutrition for losing weight as well as my workouts, I decided to have an online visit with an Amwell Nutritionist. There were three Nutritionists available and I chose Cristina. I was connected within 5 minutes! After giving Cristina a brief summary of what I needed help with, we were on the way to having a fantastic visit!
My American Well (Amwell) visit was with Cristina Cavanaugh. Because I have an issue with prediabetes, Cristina said it was important for me to pair up a carb with a protein. She said this was called “carb consistency”, which was a new term for me. She said our bodies turn food into sugar and a carb on its own would do that faster than if you pair a protein with it. So instead of having a few graham crackers, she said to add some peanut butter. We decided I should have about 1500 calories in order to allow me to lose 1-2 pounds a week. I needed to have 3 meals at about 300-400 calories and 2 snacks in the 200-250 range.
One of those snacks needed to be before my daily workout. Some of the choices she gave me were:
- Cottage cheese with fruit
- Cucumbers and hummus
- Turkey with guacamole
- Apple with peanut butter
- Nuts with whole grain cereal
Cristina said since my workouts were later in the day, I needed to load up on protein for dinner instead of carbs. I tend to eat grilled chicken or fish with broccoli or a salad. She said that was a great dinner with plenty of protein. If I get hungry before bed, she suggested I have one of the snacks listed above. This meal plan will help me stay “carb consistent”, stay within my calorie range and keep me from getting dips in my sugar, which has caused some dizzy spells. At the end of the visit, Cristina explained she would be sending over notes and some meal plan suggestions to me via the secured message area of the Amwell site. How convenient is that?
Some of the 1500 Calorie Meal Plan Choices included:
- Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs, 1 slice of whole grain toast, 1 small banana, black coffee
- Lunch: Veggie wrap on whole grain tortilla, red pepper slices and celery sticks, 1 cup strawberries and water
- Dinner: Baked chicken breast, mashed sweet potatoes, steamed cauliflower, cherry juice and water.
Benefits of Using Amwell
- Save Money: With in-office visits costing, on average, $82 for first-time patients according to the Healthcare Blue Book, Amwell offers a $49 physician visit – a savings of $33.
- After Hours: You can use Amwell on weekends and in the middle of the night (24/7/365) availability. Great for those who do have transportation or when you don’t feel well enough to drive and those who are newly relocated and don’t have providers yet.
- Ease of Use: Consumers are looking for a faster appointment. Now they don’t need to schedule an appointment nor do they need to wait to be seen, especially if on vacation or business travel. The doctor can be seen from the comfort and convenience of their own home.
- Peace of Mind. Amwell alleviates the need for moms to search the internet for their symptoms only to think they have some big health issue. When you have an Amwell doctor at the tip of your fingers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week you are sure to feel more relaxed knowing that the proper diagnosis will come from a professional physician.
Examples of reasons you may want to use Amwell:
- How To Detect And Treat Heat Sickness
- Benefits Of Staying Hydrated + Creative Ways To Stay Hydrated This Summer
- Best Ways To Treat Bug Bites, Sunburns And Heat Rash
- Best Ways To Treat Ankle Sprains, Bumps And Bruises
- What To Pack In Your Travel Health Kit (+ Amwell App)
- Healthy Alternatives To Your Favorite BBQ Foods
- Healthy Snacks To Pack For Your Kids On A Vacation
- Fun Guilt-Free Recipes To Try This Summer
- Pre And Post Work-Out Snacks
- A List Of Nutrition Tips For A Healthy Summer
- How To Stay Track Of Your Fitness And Diet Regimen During Vacation
Created By Medical Professionals You Can Trust
Amwell was created by doctors and has been ranked the most popular consumer telehealth app worldwide in 2014 by App Annie. Being the first telehealth service awarded accreditation by The American Telemedicin Association speaks volumes as to why Amwell is worth using for the busy mom who is always on the go, and often placing their health behind her family. In a recent article in the Medical section of the Wall Street Journal, American Well (Amwell) was said to be positioning itself to be ‘the Amazon of health care.’
Here is a great video that gives you the perfect visual on how Amwell works:
Are you ready to give Amwell a try? Right now, my Kicking it with Kelly readers can get their first visit for only $1! So instead of leaving the house for your medical question, just sit back and visit Amwell on your computer, tablet or smartphone by using the code: TELEVISIT46.
What aspect of Amwell do you find most beneficial to you and your family?