It’s finally fall ya’ll! As in many houses, with fall, comes football. As I write this post, we are watching college football (The Gators are eating the Vols alive!!) My husband is a huge football fanatic, so we have a game on the TV virtually all weekend. You could call my husband a sports fanatic. He loves sports. Period. We call him the Rainman of sports because he can tell you just about any fact or statistic about any sport, game, player or coach. I don’t mind sports, but I am just not as big a fan as my husband. What I do enjoy are watching sports movies on Netflix while my hubby and I are cuddled up on the couch.
Best Sports Movies Streaming Now On Netflix
What are your favorite sports movies? I have so many, it is hard to narrow it down to just a handful. But for time and space constraints, have whittled down my list to the top 10 sports movies streaming on Netflix this month. I am going to bet at least one of your favorites is on this list!
- Rudy: Rudy has always been told that he was too small to play college football. But he is determined to overcome the odds and fulfill his dream of playing for Notre Dame. I fell in love with Sean Astin when I saw this heartwarming story for the first time.
- Varsity Blues: A backup quarterback is chosen to lead a Texas football team to victory after the star quarterback is injured. What girl didn’t fall in love with James Van der Beek and what guy didn’t want to be him? And of course, the amazing Paul Walker too.
- 30 For 30: Of Miracles and Men: Has the story of one of the greatest upsets in sports history been told? In the 1980 Winter Olympic hockey competition, a plucky band of American collegians beat the vaunted Soviet national team, 4-3. Americans couldn’t help but believe in miracles that night. when Team USA won the gold medal two days later. But there was another, unchronicled side to the “Miracle On Ice.” There was a reason they seemed unbeatable, especially after routing the Americans in an exhibition the week before the Winter Games began. And there was a certain shame in them having to live the rest of their lives with the results of February 22, 1980.
- Brian’s Song: (and I am talking the original, not the remake) Based on the real-life relationship between teammates Brian Piccolo and Gale Sayers and the bond established when Piccolo discovers that he is dying. Get out your Kleenex people!
- Jerry Maguire: When a sports agent has a moral epiphany and is fired for expressing it, he decides to put his new philosophy to the test as an independent with the only athlete who stays with him. I am not a big Tom Cruise fan (don’t shoot me) but I LOVED Cuba Gooding, Jr. in this.
- Knuckleball!: Knuckleball! is the story of a few good men, a handful of pitchers in the entire history of baseball forced to resort to the lowest rung on the credibility ladder in their sport: throwing a ball so slow and unpredictable that no one wants anything to do with it. The film follows the Major League’s only knuckleballers in 2011, Tim Wakefield and R.A. Dickey, as they pursue a mercurial art form in a world that values speed, accuracy, and numerical accountability.
- Rocky: Rocky Balboa, a small-time boxer gets a supremely rare chance to fight the heavyweight champion, Apollo Creed, in a bout in which he strives to go the distance for his self-respect. Who knew this movie would spawn a franchise?’
Netflix is super easy to stream and it is affordable for virtually every budget. You can stream Netflix through your TV, tablet, smartphone, gaming system or computer for less then $10 a month! You can watch your favorite shows while you are in the carpool lane, at the doctors office or while relaxing at home. Be sure to follow Netflix on Facebook and Twitter.