Board games were definitely not products of nostalgia back when I was growing up. These days, it seems that whenever board games are brought up in a conversation, dialogues such as these arise: “Aww, that was such an old game! I loved it!” or “I used to play that one every weekend with my siblings – a weekend wasn’t complete without it!” Because technology has soared to new heights, board games are something that children are less-accustomed to. This is not necessarily a bad thing, and so I fully embrace our world’s advancements, but it’s never a bad idea to whip out a classic game and enjoy it with friends and family.
Scrabble is the classic word game from the Hasbro company and has been around since the 1930s! It is one of my family’s favorite board games and is always a hit on family game night. Whenever we play, it ignites bursts of laughter, encourages heavy discussion (“…I swear _____ is a word!”), and family game-night always ends up being a blast. In honor of National Scrabble Day, here are a few reasons to bring it back to family game night!
Here Are Eight Reasons You Should Play Scrabble
- Expand Your Vocabulary: Seeing that the ultimate goal in Scrabble is to score the highest amount of points through word creation, this reason is pretty obvious. I place an emphasis on this particular point because with communication being more and more “wired,” the help of automatic typing on handheld devices can diminish our general confidence in spelling and grammar. You could have your kids practice their word basics without them even realizing it.
- Practice Your Math Skills: In Scrabble, points are added up once a word is created and the counting system with the board’s set-up is a great way for children to work on their mathematical skills.
- Fun For All Ages: The great thing about Scrabble is how it can be challenging at any age. It’s nice to gather up the entire family and present them with a game that’s not necessarily “kid-oriented.”
- Its Sheer Beauty: I mean, as simple as it seems, their smooth wood pieces and intricate board truly give this game a classic feel. Also, their editions such as their Luxury Edition and Premier Wood Edition are gorgeous works of art and are sought out by collectors worldwide.
- Gather Friends and Family: Scrabble gives us a good excuse to call up friends for a get-together – board-game night is an ideal and cost-effective alternative to nights-out at restaurants and bars. It also allows family members to drop their electronic gadgets, set aside their busy schedules, and spend some valuable time together. Of course, these gatherings could take place with any board game but Scrabble just happens to be one of our favorites!
- Pair Up in Teams: Scrabble could be played in pairs, so it may help in exposing your children to the importance of teamwork and problem-solving with others.
- Build Cognitive Skills: With the aforementioned vocabulary and math application, Scrabble encourages strategic thinking and can get anyone working hard. That’s right, get your kids to really use their bran (in a fun way!) to take the title of Scrabble Champion!
- The Challenge of Anagramming: Anagramming is the action of making more words from one and Scrabble can definitely help in strengthening this skill.
For my family, Hasbro, has been a name we are very familiar with. I played with their toys as a child and now my kids play with them as well. We even play some of the same games as a family today that my parents and I played when I was younger. The company was a family affair, being started two brothers, Henry and Helal Hassenfield. Their first toys, a doctor and nurse kit made their debut in 1940. What really made Hasbro a well known and beloved company, was when Mr. Potato Head hit the toy market. This wildly popular toy was created by George Learner in 1952. Be sure to like Hasbro on Facebook and follow them on Twitter.
I would love to hear your Scrabble story! Please share it with me and my other readers!
In honor of National Scrabble Day, I am offering one of my readers $25 in PayPal cash to buy their favorite Hasbro game! Enter below and good luck!!