OK, wasn’t it just a few weeks ago that I was putting together a picnic for the 4th of July?! Now I am working on what to pack for our Labor Day picnic. Now, this picnic is slightly more important that others strictly due to the timing. This is officially the last picnic of the year, so it should be a good one, right? I am for sure making my fried chicken and bringing my Traditional Pound Cake from Scratch and Lemon Strawberry Shortcake Parfaits. I am also making my husband’s favorite side dish. He loves it when I make him Bacon and Chipotle Potato Salad. This gluten free recipe is spicy, creamy and the perfect companion for your Labor Day picnic!
This Bacon and Chipotle Potato Salad is a bit on the spicy side, which most of my family loves. I am not a huge fan of spicy foods, so I cut back on the chipotle paste for me and Caitlin. I usually put aside a third of the recipe for the girls and then add the chipotle paste to the remainder of the Bacon and Chipotle Potato Salad recipe. I love this recipe because it is smooth and creamy and oh so flavorful!
Another reason I love this Bacon and Chipotle Potato Salad recipe is because it is easier to make than my other potato salad recipes. Traditional potato salad recipes have onions and celery, which I am not crazy about chopping and dicing. This recipe omits those items, but adds sour cream, which makes it super creamy! This is a dish best prepared the day before so you can let all the flavors marry overnight. There are some dishes that just taste better the next day, right? Like casseroles, lasagna or pot roast. All I know is this is one of those recipes that your kids will keep in their recipe box and will pass down to their kids. Yep. It is that good!
Gluten Free Bacon and Chipotle Potato Salad
- 4 baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoons chipotle paste
- 1 teaspoon Chipotle flavored Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water; add 2 teaspoons salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook 12 to 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain and cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine sour cream, yogurt, mayonnaise, Chipotle paste, Dijon mustard, and garlic; mix well. Place potatoes in a large bowl with cheese, bacon and eggs. Add dressing and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper, Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
What is your favorite picnic side dish?