When you are heading out, what are your must have items for the trip? Whether you are running errands or leaving own for the weekend, you want to grab your wallet or purse, keys and of course your mobile device. For many of us, our mobile devices, like my iPhone6 from U.S. Cellular, are a life-line. They allow us to communicate, reminds us of appointments, keep track of our health, provides us with our grocery lists, as well as those must-have games we play!
But what happens if we damage our phone? When damage occurs, it always seems that it happens at the worst time: right when you need to make a call, before you thought of doing backup, or in the middle of capturing a precious moment on the camera or video. A phone can become damaged from being thrown or dropped, being submerged, over-exposure to the summer heat, kid’s mishandling and more. My number one way I have damaged my phone is good old H20.
My Phone’s Wet. Now What!
When a mobile device falls in a puddle, faces a liquid spill, or gets dropped in the toilet, many of us go into panic mode. In fact, many warranties refuse to cover water damage, so purchasing a replacement is the only option. What if we told you that a water-damaged phone may be salvageable? My iPhone6 from U.S. Cellular has faced a water spill once or twice but with the right steps, I was able to save it and it still works great!
- Don’t Panic And Don’t Press: It all happened in slow motion: your mobile device was just in your hands and then, it somehow slipped away and fell into that large puddle on your driveway. First of all, don’t panic. You may be able to get around this! The #1 thing that people try to do is press on buttons but avoid this type of behavior at all costs: you may short circuit your phone. The best thing to do would be to take off all of its cases and accessories and remove the battery. If your device doesn’t have a removable battery, then power it off.
- Wipe And Fan: If you act quickly enough, then wiping off excess water and blowing your phone with a fan may save it. Remember: the key is to not panic and to act fast.
- Never Use Heat: Sometimes, you may be tempted to blow the wet phone out with a hair dryer (I mean, it works on our hairdo’s!) but the heat can only cause more potential damage. People have reportedly stuck their devices in the oven for quick drying which is also a huge no-no.
- The Bheestie Bag: Did you know that products like the Bheestie Bag can dry out that soggy phone in 24 hours? The company says within that time, the little beds in their air tight bag can absorb up to two times the water of other options.
- What About Silicone Gel? You know those little silicone gel packs you often find in shoe boxes, medications or electronic packages? They can help absorb water from your phone. Keep some handy in an airtight container as a backup plan.
- What About Rice? When you are in a pinch, you can place your wet phone in an airtight container filled with rice. The last time Caitlin dropped her phone in the sink, we did this and it worked like a charm. The drawback is it can take several days to get all the moisture out of your phone.
- The Dry-All Wet Cellular Phone Emergency Kit: This product claims 100% success within 48 hours when you follow their directions exactly. What is their secret? Their unique blue bead drying technology can dry any wet cell phone fast.
So, what happens when all of the above does NOT work? Keep a calm head! You may have a few tricks left in your bag. The last time my husband dropped his phone in a puddle, he lost ALL of his notes, contacts, and photos from his phone. Don’t let this happen to you! Be sure you are backing up all of your data on a regular basis. No one wants to lose that video of your daughter’s talent show try out, right?
- Take It To Your Carrier: Tried all that you could after your phone took its unexpected swim? Sometimes, even with careful handling, it’s best to take it to your carrier for further diagnosis and alternatives.
- Is Your Phone Insured? Did you know that there are many insurance plans out there that cover far more than regular warranties from mobile carriers? In fact, U.S. Cellular offers Device Protection+, which not only replaces a water-damaged phone, but also comes with tools to back up your data and protect against malware. We have insurance on all of our mobile devices. Do you?
There are many reasons I love being a U.S. Cellular customer. Because I have a teen driver in my home, we have signed the U.S. Cellular® Better Moments Parent-Child Agreement. This customizable agreement allows parents to set parameters for phone, driving responsibilities and limitations. This agreement clearly outlines my young driver should not use her cellphones while driving. Be sure to read my post, Safe Driving Phone Apps For Teen Drivers. Get social by following U.S. Cellular on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter .
Has your phone ever taken a plunge? What steps did you take to save it? I would love to hear your story!