There are so many things about the holidays I love. The decorations downtown, especially at night. The smell of cookies baking, and watching the kids decorate them. Having all my kids together. There are also things I don’t love. Standing in line, only to find the item you wanted has sold out, and the rain check is for AFTER Christmas. Fighting the crowds, just to save a few dollars on a sub-par made pair of shoes. The list goes on. This year, I decided to figure out how to take the stress out of holiday shopping and do more of what I love.
Tips To Make Holiday Shopping Less Stressful
- Set A Budget: I am a sucker for a sale. This is especially true during the holidays. If I don’t have a set budget for each person on my list, I am likely to keep adding to their pile. This can go on right up until December 24th! This means I will be paying off that debt for most of the upcoming year. Ugh.
- Make A List: This may seem simple. The trick is to stick to your list. It is so easy to get distracted by the shiny and pretty things we see. Before we know it, we are buying an expensive cashmere scarf our husband doesn’t even need! Just like making your grocery list, a holiday shopping list will keep you on track and on budget.
- Start Early: Don’t laugh, but I start my Christmas shopping in July or August. This gives me plenty of time to get my list done and keep an eye out for sales. This also cuts down on the time I spend in the mall, which is not my favorite place, no matter what time of year! By the time Black Friday is here, I have most of my holiday shopping done.
- Do Your Research: Two of my kids want laptops this year. I didn’t want to jump in without the proper research. I quizzed the kids about the memory, speed, processor, size and even color they wanted. Next, I read a lot of customer reviews and shopped around for the best deal. I save a lot of time and money this way. This means the kids are happy and so is my bank account!
- Amazon Prime: My mailman thinks I have stock in Amazon! I have averaged 2-3 packages a week for the past two months! With Amazon Prime, I get free shipping all year. Also, Amazon offers competitive prices on many items on my holiday shopping list. Bonus!!
- Homemade Gifts: My daughter and I love to craft. Each year, we make homemade gifts for her teachers, friends and our family. This year, we are making vanilla scented soaps. They smell so good and cost pennies on the dollar. And homemade gifts are always appreciated.
- Square Cash: I have recently discovered Square Cash. This free app makes getting paid back easy as pie! So instead of getting stuck paying for mom and dad’s big gift, the family can pay you instantly by using Square Cash! Score! That’s how to take the stress out of holiday shopping!
Get Paid Back Quickly With Square Cash
I am one of five kids. I have experienced the hassle of splitting the bill on lunches, dinners, for gifts or even rent. It seems at one point or another, one of us owes another one money. Because we live in several different states, getting paid back can be tricky. More often than not, I would forgo the headache of it all and just suck it up and foot the bill.
But, now that I have Square Cash in my life, I don’t have to do that anymore. Yay!! Square Cash is easy to use. You can download the app on Google Play for your Android phone or on iTunes for your iPhone. It’s like real cash, but better, and it’s more secure, fast and free! No more sending a check in the mail, paying a fee to wire money or to buy a money order.
You can choose a $Cashtag and share a link to your free cash.me profile. Then you can get paid by friends or family in a snap. I use it to send my daughter money, to buy concert tickets so our seats are together, to split bills for meals, pay for gas on your next road trip or pretty much whatever you want to use it for!
What would you use Square Cash for this holiday? Do you have tips how to take the stress out of holiday shopping?