This is a sponsored post. However, all opinions about my Dorel Home Products Mainstays Mattress and how to decorate the perfect dorm room on a budget are all mine. How did my baby girl become a college student already? Wasn’t she starting Kindergarten a few minutes ago?! This is an exciting time for us. Caitlin will be the third person in our family to go to college. And this is over a span of many generations. That is something to celebrate!
Now that the excitement has subsided, it is time to focus our attention to getting Caitlin set up at school. We have had a lot of fun shopping for the dorm room necessities. I had no idea how much stuff she needed! It was a daunting process! I wanted to write this help parents navigate this experience without stress. Do you have a kid who is college bound? Before you start shopping, here are my top tips on how to decorate the perfect dorm room on a budget.
How To Decorate The Perfect Dorm Room On A Budget
- Take Stock Of What You Have: There is no need to shop for things you already have. Caitlin found several items in her room she could transfer to her dorm room. When you do this step, be sure your child has everything they need back at home when they come back for visits.
- Visit The Dorm Room: Before you start shopping, know what you are working with. Take your measuring tape and something to take notes with when you visit the dorm room. If you know who your kids roommate is, contact them. Check to see what they are bringing. This can save you time, money and effort. No need to buy an area rug or fridge if the roomie already has one!
- Shop At Thrift Stores: My daughter loves anything vintage. We found some great thrift store decor that was perfect for her dorm room. We save a huge part of the budget with these treasures.
- Choose A Good Mattress: Your child needs to get the proper amount of sleep in college. They need a good mattress to ensure they get a good night’s rest. But mattresses can be hugely expensive. We found a great option with the Mainstays 8″ Memory Foam Mattress from Walmart. It is well made, affordable and perfect for Caitlin’s dorm room.
- Get Creative: Save on store bought decor when you can make your own. Making your own shelves can save you a ton. Take a bright metal trash can and flip it upside down. Now you have an eclectic side table! Save on expensive picture frames for the walls. Frame your photos with washi tape instead. It looks so cool! Brighten up those boring walls with removable wallpaper. Use string lights on your bed. You can read with them but they won’t bother your roommate if they are sleeping!
- Make A Snack Station: College kids need to keep up their strength. Instead of buying expensive cafeteria food, set up a snack and drink station for them. Refill it on your weekly visits. If you live too far to visit, a care package will be a welcome treat!
Kids Need Their Rest
We know kids function better when they have had a good night’s sleep. Heck, we all do! I slept poorly for many years. I thought it was due to my insomnia. Turns out I also had a bad mattress. Once I replaced it, I was sleeping better than I had for a long time. Did you know you should replace your mattress at least every 10 years? According to the National Sleep Foundation, you should. They also said you should replace it earlier if you don’t sleep well.
Finding The Perfect Mattress
When we shopped for Caitlin’s mattress, I had several things I wanted. It had to be comfortable and a good value for the price. because we shop at Walmart all the time, they were our go-to when shopping for our dorm room mattress. When we found the Mainstays 8″ Memory Foam Mattress, we knew it was perfect for our needs. When you buy your mattress, you have two delivery options. You can have it shipped to your home or it is also available for Walmart pickup. Either one was convenient for us.
Unboxing Your Mattress Is Half The Fun!
If you have never opened a memory foam mattress from a box, you are missing out! It was so much fun! I know, it sounds like we don’t get out much, but it is true. We were able to get the box to Caitlin’s room with ease. I will tell you. The box itself is well sealed. It made me feel good knowing how secure our mattress was. Once we got the mattress from the cardboard, we opened the plastic covering. Once the mattress is “free”, it is like it takes a breath! It expands as it unfolds onto the bed. Super cool!
A Mattress For Many Needs
I love that the Mainstays 8″ Memory Foam Mattress from Walmart is so versatile. You can use it for your dorm room, the kid’s or your room or the guest room. It is great for a bedroom update or to keep up with your growing family! And it is affordable with a price of $88 for a twin to $199 for a queen. I also feel safe using the DHP Mattresses for my family.
They are CertiPur, which means they contain certified flexible polyurethane foam. They are made without ozone depleters, no PBDE’s, TDCPP flame retardants and without mercury, lead, or other heavy metals. They are also made without formaldehyd or ephthalates. Not only are they comfortable and affordable but safe too. I have peace of mind knowing Caitlin will have a good night’s sleep every night on her Mainstays 8″ Memory Foam Mattress from Walmart. Stay current with Walmart on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest. Follow DHP on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest.
Do you have a kid going to college or have a bedroom that needs an updated mattress? I would love to hear in the comments below!