This is a sponsored post and I have been compensated. All opinions are all mine. Ever since I was diagnosed as being prediabetic, I have had to overhaul my diet. My doctor suggested eating a more plant based diet. This was a shock to someone who loves to eat a thick steak on the grill. But, I didn’t want to put my health at risk over a stupid piece of meat. I decided to try a vegan approach to my eating.
Vegan eating is like a vegetarian diet, but you don’t eat meat, eggs, dairy products or other animal-derived ingredients. I was worried at first. Making the switch to a vegan diet doesn’t have to be difficult. With a few small changes you can be healthy and enjoy guilt-free meals. Here are my top tips!
- A Plant Based Diet: Packing your plate full of leafy greens and fruit will help you stay full. Also, whole foods give your body the nutrients and antioxidants it needs.
- Almond Milk: If you love milk as much as I do, I bet you worry you will feel you are missing out if you stop. I love drinking almond milk. Almond milk has a sweetness that makes it feel more like a treat than a deprivation.
- Protein: The most asked question of vegans if where they get their protein. There are so may sources of protein that are not animal based. You can enjoy beans, soy products like tofu, quinoa, nuts, seeds.
- Smart Snacking: I am a huge snacker. I used to eat a lot of sugary desserts, which are terrible for you! I have discovered a snack the kids and I love! They are the Gluten Free Bites from the folks who make your favorite; They Gluten Free Bar!
- Vitamin B-12: Vitamin B-12 is vital for everything from red blood cells to brain function and our bodies can’t make their own. Getting a supplement is important to staying healthy as a vegan.
- Support Groups: When you start any new chapter in your life, a support group is a great idea. You can find other vegans in your area where you can find e support. It is one of the most fun ways to make going vegan easy! You can swap recipes, knowledge, find great vegan restaurants and make new friends!
Have you had the products from The Gluten Free Bar? They are fantastic and are a healthy alternative to traditional snacks. Their Gluten Free Bites are so dang tasty! They’re certified gluten-free, non-GMO, Vegan, and Kosher. As well as being free from soy, dairy, trans-fat, and cholesterol. They’re also made with responsibly sourced ingredients and follow sustainable business practices.
The bite-sized snacks come in six flavors that children and adults will love. The flavors include peanut butter and jelly (my fav), chocolate cherry almond and dark chocolate hazelnut. You can also get GFB snacks in a bar form, making them easy to pack for school lunches. The company has also made the move into breakfast, with delicious oatmeal. These mouthwatering flavors include maple raisin and apple cinnamon. Be sure to follow The Gluten Free Bar on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest. One USA reader will win a variety pack of GFB snacks valued at $65
Are you a vegan, or have you considered trying the lifestyle? What tips or advice would you offer or like to know? I would love to hear!