The other day, Caitlin, who is 16, came to me while I was in the middle of taking photos for a blog post. She told me she was hungry. I pointed to the kitchen and told her to have at it. She stared at me for a minute and said if she felt like cooking, she wouldn’t have bothered me.
Enough said! When the kids get home from school, they are usually hungry. Before they start to work on homework, I let them decompress and have a snack. One of their favorites are my Watermelon Rice Krispies Treats.
In my house, Rice Krispies Treats are about as popular as an ice cream sundae! We probably make different variations of them 3 or 4 times a month. It is a snack that is cheap and surprisingly, not that high in calories.
Now that the kids are older, they can help me in the kitchen. That means my hands don’t have to get sticky when we are forming the Watermelon Rice Krispies Treats!!
This snack is super easy to make and are ready in less than 30 minutes! If you want to take them to school for a cute teacher’s gift, you can wrap them in cellophane and tie it with a ribbon. We have done this for back to school and at Halloween, we do a candy corn version which is super cute (recipe coming soon!).
A word of caution about the chocolate chips. Because the Watermelon Rice Krispies Treats mixture is a bit warm when you are forming it, the chocolate chips can melt. Wait just a few minutes before you add that step.
Watermelon Rice Krispies Treats
- 3 Tbsp. butter or margarine, divided
- 3 Tbsp. watermelon jello (about 1/2 of 3- oz. pkg.)
- 1 pkg. (10 oz.) Mini marshmallows,
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal,
- 8 to 10 drops green food coloring (divided)
- Mini chocolate chips
- Straws (optional)
- Microwave 2 Tbsp. butter in large microwaveable bowl on high for 25 sec. or until melted.
- Add 3 cups marshmallows and toss to coat evenly . '
- Microwave 1-1/2 min.(stirring after 45 sec.) or until marshmallows are completely melted and mixture is well blended,
- Stir in food coloring.
- Add 3 cups of cereal; mix well.
- Press to form rim around cereal mixture in pan sprayed with cooking spray
- Microwave remaining butter in separate large microwaveable bowl 25 sec. or until melted. ;
- Add remaining marshmallows; toss to coat. Microwave 1-1/2 min. (stirring after 45 sec.) or until marshmallows are completely melted and mixture is well blended,
- Stir in dry gelatin mix and microwave for 15 sec.; mix well.
- Add remaining cereal; mix well.
- Press cereal mixture into 6-inch circle in center of 8-inch round pan sprayed with cooking spray.
What is your child’s favorite after school snack?