When you grow up in a house with 6 kids, you tend to eat a lot of the same foods over and over again. We had pot roast on Sunday, spaghetti on Thursday and tacos on Tuesday. I looked forward to Tuesdays because I loved that zesty meat mixture topped with fresh tomatoes and the crunch of those corn tortillas. As an adult, I have not lost my love for Taco Tuesday, but to mix things up a bit, I make my famous layered taco salad! This salad has everything you love about tacos, all in one bowl.
If you are a vegetarian, you can leave out the beef or turkey and you can add or take away any of the vegetables you may not like or want to add. My husband loves corn and black olives in his, but I am not a fan, so I leave it out of mine. That is what is so great about this recipe. You can make it to suit the tastes of each person. I have created the recipe with an avocado as most folks like that kind of thing, but I left it out of my salads and we do not. I know, we are weird! I serve this 6 layered taco salad in a glass trifle bowl and in less than 3 minutes, I have a happy family with happy bellies!
Layered Taco Salad:
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 avocado, pitted
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled unsalted tortilla chips
- 1 cup prepared salsa
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans and/or black beans, rinsed
- 5 cups thinly sliced romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add turkey, chili powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring and breaking up lumps, until cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mash avocado, yogurt and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl with a fork until smooth.
- Transfer the turkey and any juice from the pan to a serving bowl. Layer chips, salsa, beans and lettuce over the turkey. Spread the avocado mixture over the lettuce. Top with cheese, then tomato.
What would you add to your layered taco salad for Taco Tuesday?