When I was growing up, I had a stay at home mom who cooked virtually everything from scratch. Now, you need to realize back when I was a kid, that was not unheard of. We only went to McDonald’s or out for pizza if it was someone’s birthday or a special occasion. They didn’t have all these pre-made mixes in the grocery store, so we always had amazing home cooked food at just about every meal. One of my favorites was mom’s Cinnamon Swirl Quick Bread From Scratch. This version is gluten free, but no April Fools prank here, the result is almost identical. For another yummy and quick breakfast, you may want to try my Nutty Oatmeal Buttermilk Waffles or my Super Quick and Easy Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins.
I think he secret is in the sugary sweet cinnamon crumble. It has a punch of cinnamon flavor that is not too overwhelming. It is just about the best thing since, well, sliced white bread! You can serve this bread warm with the glaze, or wrap it up and put a slice in the kids lunchbox. I have even served it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for dessert after our evening meal.
You know me, I am all about versatile recipes, and this is one of them! I usually make a double batch so I can keep one and give one. When Caitlin has an early robotics or scholar’s bowl meeting, I will send a loaf for the kids and they cannot get enough of it!
Gluten Free Cinnamon Swirl Quick Bread :
- 2 cups gluten free flour (I use King Arthur’s)
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup canola or coconut oil
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine flour, 1 cup sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Combine buttermilk, egg and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. In a small bowl, combine cinnamon and remaining sugar.
- Grease the bottom only of a 9×5-in. loaf pan.
- Pour half of the batter into pan; sprinkle with half the cinnamon-sugar.
- Carefully spread with remaining batter and sprinkle with remaining cinnamon-sugar; cut through batter with a knife to swirl.
- Bake 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons milk and mix two together, slowly adding milk until the desired consistency. Drizzle over bread.
What is your go to breakfast bread?