Do you have a favorite dish you could eat every day? I have a few, but in the summer, I could eat a veggie pasta salad every single day. I wasn’t always a fan of eating vegetables, even as an adult. I could eat the heck out of steamed broccoli or corn on the cob, but that was about it. And then I had veggie pasta salad. I could not believe all those vegetables could taste so good! I must say, even something as classic as a pasta salad could use an update. I decided to do a twist on my usual veggie pasta salad and make a Roasted Summer Vegetable Tortellini Pasta Salad.
Updating A Classic Recipe
About a year ago, my daughter had knee surgery and I went down for a week to help take care of her. While I was there, I was in charge of the grocery shopping and cooking. I was making grilled chicken one night and Chelsea asked if I would make roasted vegetables. I had never made them, so she walked me through it. So easy and so tasty! Ever since, I have added roasted vegetables to several of our family favorite dishes. Of course the vegetables you use will vary from season to season, but oh my are they good! My husband absolutely loves my Roasted Summer Vegetable Tortellini Pasta Salad with a homemade Honey Mustard Vinaigrette dressing. To easily prep my vegetables, I use one of the vegetable choppers from this list, which makes it a breeze!
Homemade Dressings Taste Better & Are Cheaper!
You would not believe how much flavor the dressing adds to this dish which I usually make with bottled Italian dressing. Now, don’t get me wrong! Bottled salad dressings are fine. My issue is they are expensive and are typically loaded with sugar. With a homemade dressing, you can control the amount of sugar it contains. Also, 99% of the time, you have all the ingredients you need to make homemade dressing in your panty and fridge.
I make this homemade Honey Mustard Vinaigrette dressing several times a month. We use it on salads as well as a marinade for chicken and fish. I am sure it is great for meat, but we don’t eat much meat anymore. No matter what you use it for, trust me when I tell you…it will kick the flavor up by several notches! If you want something sweet for dessert, but are watching your calories, my Double Chocolate Chip Zucchini Streusel Muffins are perfect!
- 1 pound of tortellini pasta of your choice, cooked according to directions, drained and set aside
- 1/2 cup colored carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh broccoli, chopped
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 cup zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 cup yellow squash, chopped
- 1/2 cup eggplant, chopped
- 1/2 cup colored tomatoes, cut in half or quartered.
- 1 small red onion, sliced thin
- 1/4 Feta cheese
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries (optional)
- 1/4 cup candied pecans (optional)
- For Honey Mustard Dressing:
- 1/3 cup virgin olive oil
- 1/8 cup deli style mustard
- 1/8 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 clove. garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl, add your chopped vegetables. Add in your olive oil and toss thoroughly. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer vegetables to a large cookie sheet, lined with a silicone baking mat.
- Cook vegetables for 15-20 minutes, or until just before fork tender.
- While vegetables are cooking, mix all your ingredients for the dressing and whisk together until combined well.
- Add vegetables, Feta cheese, dried cranberries and pecans to tortellini and mix completely. Toss with Honey Mustard Vinaigrette Serve immediately, or place in fridge for 2-3 hours and serve chilled.
What is your favorite vegetable(s) and how do you prefer to prepare them?