Do you have a favorite comfort food that makes you think of a specific time or place? I have a few, including homemade birthday cake, mini pumpkin pies and my Gram’s meatloaf. Whenever we went to my Gram’s for dinner, my sister and I would beg for her meatloaf. It would not matter if we had eaten that meatloaf 4 times already that week, we could not get enough of it! She had a knack for making it so moist and flavorful that you would slap your mamma because it was that good! Go figure that one of the first dishes I learned to make as an adult was that meatloaf!
A Healthy Recipe Just Like Gram Made
Now that I am worrying about things like my weight and high cholesterol, I have taken my favorite recipes from my Gram and made them healthier. I have tweaked my Gram’s meatloaf recipe and create my Kid Friendly Skinny Meatloaf Muffins With Mashed Potatoes recipe. Instead of ground beef, we use turkey. I also use skim milk, egg whites and panko breadcrumbs in this traditional meatloaf recipe. I promise, you will still get all those flavors just without the extra calories.
The Kids Will Never Know They Are Eating Vegetables!
As with most kids, mine don’t always like to eat their vegetables. With this Kid Friendly Skinny Meatloaf Muffins With Mashed Potatoes recipe, I have hidden the veggies! I swear, the kids have no idea there are carrots and zucchini in this Kid Friendly Skinny Meatloaf Muffins With Mashed Potatoes recipe! My kids ask for this recipe just as much as my sister and I asked for my Gram’s meatloaf! Another favorite “muffin” recipe are my Sour Cream Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins. So easy and so good!
- 1 1/2 lb lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 2 tbsp onion, minced
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 tbsp. worchestchire sauce
- 1/2 cup seasoned panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- For mashed potatoes:
- 1 lb baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup free sour cream
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1 stick light butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Read more at http://www.skinnytaste.com/skinny-meatloaf-cupcakes-with-mashed/#5q8IPwb6OHMsmVOP.99
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray your muffin tin with vegetable oil.
- In a large bowl, mix the turkey, zucchini, carrots, garlic, onion, breadcrumbs, ketchup, egg whites, Worcestershire sauce and salt. Place meatloaf mixture into muffin tins filling them to the top, Be sure to flatten them at the top. Bake uncovered for 18-20 minutes or until cooked through.
- For potatoes:
- Place potatoes into large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce to medium heat; simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain and return potatoes to pot. Add remaining ingredients and blend well. Top meatloaf muffins with potatoes and enjoy!
Do you have a favorite family recipe you have made healthy swaps in? I would love to hear about it!