My grandmother was more like a second mom to me. She taught me how to wear make-up, she bought me my first bra and she let me cry on her shoulder when I had my first heartbreak. She had a small coop with a few chickens and when we were visiting, my sister and I were allowed to gather the eggs.
One of my favorite snacks would be anything with hard boiled eggs. We would eat them plain or Gram would make her delicious deviled eggs. My dad loved her Deviled Egg Macaroni Pasta Salad Recipe, which was a must have at every picnic, BBQ or even Sunday dinner.
This is a recipe that I have passed down to my oldest daughter. It is super easy to make and it travels well. This is a great side dish to take to a church potluck or to casual party. We will make a batch with some fried chicken and take it to a new family in the neighborhood or a family with a new baby.
You can also make this Deviled Egg Macaroni Pasta Salad Recipe a lower fat version by using low or fat free mayonnaise. Because you get the flavors of the eggs, the mustard, the relish and the onion, you cannot tell the difference with the mayonnaise. Trust me, my husband claims to hate lower calorie mayonnaise, but I have done the whole bait and switch with him on this recipe and he never knew the difference.
This Deviled Egg Macaroni Pasta Salad Recipe is such a flavorful side dish that is not too heavy, making it a perfect summer dish. I think the peppers and the onion add a wonderful depth to the flavor profile of this dish. I promise, once you make this, it will be a regularly requested item on the menu!
Deviled Egg Macaroni Pasta Salad Recipe
- 1 Pound Campanelle Shaped Dry Pasta (or Elbow Macaroni)
- 2 Cups Mayonnaise
- 4 TBS Yellow Mustard
- 6 Large Hard Boiled Eggs
- 3 Ribs Celery, finely diced
- 1/2 Medium Red Onion, diced small
- 1/3 Cup Sweet Relish
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For Garnish use A Generous Sprinkle of Smoked Paprika
- Prepare the pasta according to the directions on the box, drain and shake dry. Do not rinse
- Prepare hard boiled eggs and after they cool, dice in large chunks
- Combine all ingredients, (except the eggs)
- Add pasta to your sauce and mix well. Fold in your boiled egg. Garnish with paprika.
- Serve Chilled and enjoy
What is your favorite picnic side dish?