It is crazy to think it is already June! I mean, seriously; where did the spring go? I think we must have been kissed by it and it melted right into the hot summers we are known for here in the south. One of the things I love about the summer are going on family picnics. My husband works super hard during the week, so I try to find ways to get him to relax on the weekends. Because Saturdays are usually spend running errands, we reserve Sunday as our family’s day of rest and relaxation. Because we have the Great Smoky Mountains in our backyard, I can make some of my fried chicken (grab the recipe from my post over at The Seaman’s Mom) and my famous Better Than Sex Death By Chocolate Poke Cake. I know what you are thinking, so no, but it comes awfully close!
I was actually given the recipe for the Better Than Sex Death By Chocolate Poke Cake from a dear friend I worked with years ago. Her name was Ella and she had a bevy of grandkids who called her Muz. As Ella and I were having lunch one day, she was told me that whenever they had a family get together, Ella would bring her Better Than Sex Death By Chocolate Poke Cake. She said she was serving it and one of the older grandkids whispered to another that the cake was good, but it wasn’t THAT good. Ella said she laughed until she had tears streaming down her cheeks! Needless to say, I could not wait to make and serve Ella’s Better Than Sex Death By Chocolate Poke Cake. What is funny, is I had a similar reaction from my younger sister! I have chancged a few things, but the basic recipe holds close to Ella’s. This BTS Death By Chocolate Poke Cake is the perfect dessert for my Spinach Lasagna Roll Ups or Honey Garlic Chicken.
I must say, one of the keys to making the perfect Better Than Sex Death By Chocolate Poke Cake, is to have the right baking pan. I am a huge fan of the bakeware from Emile Henry, whose bakeware is made in France and offer a ten years guarantee. I recently received the Square Baking Dish, which is specially designed to fit in mini or microwave ovens. This is the perfect dish for baked dishes for four servings, making it perfect for our family of four.
I have made my Better Than Sex Death By Chocolate Poke Cake, brownies, fruit cobblers and even casseroles in the Square Baking Dish, which sells for just $40. As with the other Emile Henry products, this square baking dish is of the highest quality of the Burgundy clay, which, combined with the Emile Henry HR® (High Resistance) production process, offers dishes which are resistant to chipping and differences in temperature. This means you are going to to have an evenly cooked dish every single time, in a pan that will last you for many years to come.
Better Than Sex Death By Chocolate Poke Cake
- 1 Box devil's food chocolate cake mix
- 1 Box chocolate instant pudding mix (3.4 oz)
- 3 Large eggs
- 2 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- 1 C buttermilk
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ C Sour cream
- 1 Jar Hot fudge sauce
- 1 box Chocolate instant pudding mix (3.4 oz)
- 2 C Whipped Topping
- 1/2 cup chocolate syrup, reserve 1/4
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine cake mix and dry pudding mix with eggs, vanilla extract, milk, coconut oil and sour cream. Beat on medium speed until well combined.
- Bake cake in 9x13” for 20-22 minutes. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the middle of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, your cake is done. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- While the cake is still warm, take the end of a wooden spoon or chop stick and poke holes all over the top of your cake.
- Heat the jar of hot fudge sauce in the microwave for about 30 seconds and stir. Repeat until you can stir without resistance. Pour entire jar on the top of cake and allow it to absorb in the cake until cake is cooled, about 10 minutes.
- While the cake is cooling, prepare the pudding layer by mixing a package of instant chocolate pudding with 2 cups of cold milk. Immediately pour pudding over the top of the cake and put the cake in the fridge to let the pudding set, about 15 minutes.
- While the cake is cooling in the fridge, Combine whipped topping and 1/4 cup chocolate syrup in a mixing bowl, Fold until combined well.
- Spread whipped topping over the top of cake. Drizzle the remaining chocolate syrup and sprinkle chocolate chips.