When I was growing up, I was one of 3 girls in my house. By the time I had my period, mom had been there, done that twice before. To say there was no pomp and circumstance when the big day arrived is a huge understatement. Picture Molly Ringwald in Sixteen Candles when she realizes her family has forgotten her family. Yep! Huge letdown. Too bad I didn’t have that hunky Jake to bring a smile to my face! I swore when my daughter’s had their period, I would make a big deal out of it. Well, my oldest, Chelsea, was away at Girl Scout camp, so her troop leader got to walk her through the big event. I was not about to let that happen with Caitlin when she got her period. One thing we decided to do together was to create a first period survival kit. This way, if she was in school when “Aunt Flow” came to visit, she would be prepared.
8 Essentials For Your First Period Survival Kit
- Pads or Tampons: Caitlin was worried about using a tampon, so she opted for pads. I have been a Kotex girl since I got my period, so it only made sense for Caitlin to follow suit. Caitlin uses the U by Kotex® CleanWear® Regular Ultra Thin Period Pads with Wings.
- Chocolate: Studies have shown almost 50% of women on their period admit to craving chocolate. The likely culprit is thought to be the change in hormones your body goes through during that time of the month.
- Magnesium:One of the reasons your body may have a Magnesium deficiency, could be sue to PMS. Nuts, with almonds having the highest amount of Magnesium, are a great addition to your first period survival kit. And hey! Chocolate and nuts? What a great pair!
- Pain Reliever: Caitlin has a small container of Walgreens brand of Midol or ibuprofen for those yucky period cramps.
- Heating Pa: I feel so much better when I get the heating pad on my belly when I am on my period. But what do you do when you are on the go? Buy the individual heating patches from your local pharmacy. We prefer to shop at Walgreens, where we can always find the best selection at the best prices on all of our needs. And our pharmacist is really cool too!
- Water When your body loses fluids…no matter the fluid…you need to hydrate. Be sure to have a bottle of water (or two) while you are on your period.
- Clean Underwear:Caitlin has several pairs of dark colored panties for that special time of the month.
- Chap-stick:When I eat those salty almonds, I need my chap-stick! And besides, it is kind of like my security blanket! Caitlin takes after her mommy and has one in her first period survival kit.
I am sure you can think of other great things to add to this first period survival kit. What would you put in your kit? Do you shop at your local Walgreens? I have been a Walgreens customer for many years now. I trust their staff to answer my questions, no matter how many I have! They are super sweet and the pharmacist there has been on staff for over 5 years now. He is so nice and knowledgeable and my husband will only speak to him if he needs help with a prescription!
What is your #1 go to item in your period survival kit?