We are going to get our Christmas tree this weekend. After we decorate it, we will sit in our pajamas, drink hot chocolate with marshmallows and watch Elf. Once the tree goes up, we start our hard core baking! I love to bake with my kids. We have fun creating recipes that will become a family favorite holiday tradition. At Caitlin’s request, we are making Candy Cane Cupcakes with Peppermint Buttercream Frosting.
I love peppermint in small doses. Caitlin on the other hand could eat it in just about everything. As soon as the candy canes hit the shelves, she starts stocking up! She is rarely seen without one in her mouth! She will stir the marshmallows in her hot chocolate with them!
For our holiday baking needs, we usually have 2-3 bottles of peppermint extract in the spice cabinet. We also use it when we make out peppermint bath bombs, which I will be posting the DIY for that next week on the blog! For the Candy Cane Cupcakes with Peppermint Buttercream Frosting we had to play with the recipe to get the right balance between the extract and the crushed peppermint candies. If you used too much of either, the taste was overpowering.
Another thing we found was the original Candy Cane Cupcakes with Peppermint Buttercream Frosting recipe for the frosting did not hold up as well as I would have liked. I did some research and found if you added shortening to your recipe, the frosting will be stiffer. The original recipe substituted shortening for butter 100%. We felt the taste was not right. When we added just 1/3 cup, it was perfect! The taste was buttery and the frosting stood up quite well!
We shared our final Candy Cane Cupcakes with Peppermint Buttercream Frosting recipe with several of Caitlin’s teachers and friends. They really loved them! The frosting is absolutely dynamite! I could eat that by the truckload! It is smooth and creamy and has just a hint of the peppermint flavor. It is the perfect topping to the moist and tasty cupcakes. They turned out just perfect! I know you will think so too!
- 1 box white cake mix
- Water, vegetable oil and egg whites for cake mix
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 teaspoon red paste food color
- For the Peppermint Buttercream:
- 1 cup butter, room temperature (2 sticks), for stiffer frosting, substitute 1/3 cup shortening.
- 4 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/4 cup peppermint candies, crushed
- Mix cake according to directions and add the peppermint extract and food coloring.
- Bake as cupcakes according to directions on cake mix box
- While cupcakes are cooling, fit stand mixer with a paddle attachment. Cream butter on medium-high speed for 2-3 minutes, or until light and fluffy
- Reduce speed to low, and add the powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, until thoroughly combined. Add the vanilla and peppermint extract. Increase speed to medium and mix for one more minute. Frost cupcakes and sprinkle with crushed peppermint candies.
What is a dessert recipe you would like to try this holiday season? Or what is a family favorite you make every year?