How does your family celebrate Mother’s Day? Do you go out for a delicious brunch or stay in and enjoy a relaxing day? We used to go out, but it can get so crowded around brunch time. I hate waiting for a table, don’t you? Instead, I prefer to stay home and enjoy a simple, but tasty meal with my favorite people.
One of our favorite recipes is my Blueberry Dulce de Leche French Toast Casserole. I kid you not. This Blueberry Dulce de Leche French Toast Casserole recipe will satisfy even the most sinful sweet tooth. Mmmm. This is a recipe that leaves you wondering where breakfast stops and dessert begins. And trust me, you’ll want it for both!
My Blueberry Dulce de Leche French Toast Casserole is the perfect Mother’s Day treat, or for your regular Sunday breakfast or brunch meal. With a treat this sweet and rich, you feel like you are indulging with my Blueberry Dulce de Leche French Toast Casserole.
You know how much I love to cook, right?! It is right up there with spending time with my family. The only thing I like better is cooking with my kids. That is a special treat! I love being in the kitchen with the kids, creating delicious recipes and sweet memories!
This Blueberry Dulce de Leche French Toast Casserole is a recipe your older kids can help you make. They can tear the bread into chunks and whisk the egg mixture, while you prepare the sauce.
Be sure to have dad in the kitchen to see how you make this recipe, so he can help create it for you on Mother’s Day! Just remind him the Blueberry Dulce de Leche French Toast Casserole is the perfect Mother’s Day treat!
If your family is not into cooking, you can prepare this recipe ahead of time. For the sauce, pour it into an airtight container. Cut your bread into chunks and place them in a Ziplock bag. Whisk your eggs together and put them in a container. When you are ready to bake your Blueberry Dulce de Leche French Toast Casserole, add your egg mixture and sauce. Bake according to directions, allow to cool and serve!
- 2 large loaves of whole wheat bakery bread, cut into 1" chunks
- 6-8 large eggs
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 1/4 cups half and half, divided
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar or sugar substitute
- 1/2 cup vanilla, divided
- 1 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of baking soda
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Optional: Powdered sugar, fresh berries, maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Spray 9x13 baking pan with vegetable oil. Add bread chunks.
- In small bowl, add 1/4 cup half and half, eggs, 1/4 sugar or sugar substitute, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 cup vanilla, Whisk until well combined. Pour over bread chunks. Add blueberries and mix well.
- In a medium saucepan, add remaining half and half, vanilla, cinnamon, butter, salt and baking soda.Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until butter and sugar have melted. Add baking soda. Continue to cook about 15 minutes, or until mixture has caramelized. Pour over bread chunks mixture.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until bread chunks are lightly browned.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool 10 minutes before serving. Top with powdered sugar, fresh berries and maple syrup if desired.
What is your favorite brunch dish? Do you have a favorite dish you wish your family would make for Mother’s Day? What is it? I would love to know!