I absolutely love Mexican food. The flavors are so strong and rich, making it that much harder to say no to seconds. For Cinco de Mayo, I’m making one of my favorite dishes, my 30 Minute Layered Turkey Enchilada Casserole.
It’s loaded with a ground turkey and cheese mixture – that even by itself, tastes so good! How do I know? I may have tried it with a couple tortilla chips…but only twice. Don’t judge me, hehe. This 30 Minute Layered Turkey Enchilada Casserole is perfect for a family meal, a church dinner or potluck. Once you grab a serving, everyone can customize it to their own preference.
You can top the 30 Minute Layered Turkey Enchilada Casserole with pico de gallo, sour cream, black olives, jalapenos, shredded lettuce, or guacamole. It would be fun to set out your toppings and make an enchilada bar! There’s something fun and festive about serving it that way.
You can also make this 30 Minute Layered Turkey Enchilada Casserole as gluten free! You can swap out the flour tortillas for gluten-free flour tortillas. Corn tortillas will also work. It’s a simple ingredient swap that doesn’t affect the flavor at all. This is one way I’m able to cook a delicious meal, and my son Henry doesn’t have to feel left out.
If you want to make a lighter version of this recipe, that is easy to do as well. I use low fat cheese, and the ground turkey has less calories then ground beef would have. My family’s going to have a great Cinco de Mayo dinner with this 30 Minute Layered Turkey Enchilada Casserole. I hope yours does too! For your toppings, use low fat sour cream, or skip it all together. I pile on the tomatoes and lettuce to make the dish more filling. I love that you can get so much flavor for less calories!
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 8-12 8" flour tortillas
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons or one packet of taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 can diced green chilies
- 1 can sweet corn
- 1 can black beans
- 2 cups taco or enchilada sauce
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 1/2 cups fresh pico de gallo
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Brown ground turkey with onions in large skillet on medium-high heat; drain. Add water and taco seasoning. Mix well. Add green chiles, corn and black beans.
- Spray a 9x13" baking dish with vegetable oil
- Lay four flour tortillas on the bottom of the baking dish. Let them overlap and go up the sides a bit
- Spread a layer of the refried beans. Next, spread a layer of the meat mixture. Add 1/2 cup taco or enchilada sauce and sprinkle 1/2 cup shredded cheese. Repeat one more time.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and mixture is bubbling.
- Let rest for 15 minutes. Top with lettuce, sour cream, pico de gallo, avocado and green onions.
What is your favorite dish to serve on Cinco de Mayo?